GUEST POST – COOKING IN MY GENES
By: Jessica Kostka
Summer is around the corner and it’s a perfect time to slow down and enjoy a homecooked meal out on the deck. With Alberta’s warm summer evenings, a quick and easy dinner recipe is incredibly appealing. Meals that are prepped ahead of time and cooked quickly are convenient and leave more time for play. Even though our days might be full, the great thing about a prepped dinner favourite is that it allows for bonding time with friends and family.
My favourite go-to meal is the pesto baked chicken. Pesto is by far one of the best sauces because it’s versatile and flavourful! This recipe is a showstopper. You’ll be sure to impress if you’re hosting a dinner party. The aromatic smell while the chicken bakes makes my mouth water every time. The first bite is always one that I savour and makes me going back for more.
Here’s the recipe!
Total time: 40 minutes
Equipment: Oven-safe skillet or frying pan and baking dish
½ small yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 chicken breasts
2 tbsp olive oil
⅔ cup chicken stock (low or no sodium)
1 tbsp butter
1 cup baby tomatoes, cut in half
4 tbsp pesto
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Chop ½ of a small yellow onion and mince 3 cloves of garlic; combine into a small bowl and set aside. Wash 1 cup of baby tomatoes, then cut them in half and set aside.
- Heat oven-safe skillet (I like cast iron) or your frying pan to medium and add the olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook until soft and browned for approximately 5 minutes
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Then push the onion and garlic to the sides of the skillet and add the chicken, cooking each side of the chicken breast for 5 mnutes.
- After the second side is cooked, add the chicken stock, butter and tomatoes and simmer in the pan for 5 minutes.
- **If you’re not using an oven-safe skillet, transfer the chicken and all of the sauce to your oven-safe baking dish before continuing to the next step**
- Spread 1 tbsp of pesto on top of each chicken breast and top off each with the crumbled feta.
- Cover the skillet or baking dish with foil and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool a couple of minutes before serving.
A side of quinoa or rice and green veggies like sautéed kale or broccoli complete the dish perfectly. Food for thought – the pesto baked chicken is great for leftovers. Enjoy!
Until the next cooking adventure,
Jessica is a food blogger and event planner. You can find her whipping up recipes for family and friends on her blog, Cooking in my Genes or helping plan a fabulous social events at The Styled Social.